For those people with hypothyroidism or Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis who are thinking about following a natural hypothyroid treatment protocol, there are numerous factors which are required to restore their health back to normal. In this article I’m going to discuss five hypothyroid treatment tips to help people with these conditions achieve optimal thyroid health naturally:
Natural Hypothyroid Treatment Tip #1: Take better care of your adrenal glands. Many cases of hypothyroidism and Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis are caused by weak adrenals. The adrenal glands can become compromised in a number of different ways. One common way is by eating refined foods and sugars on a regular basis. Eating refined foods will cause a spike in your blood sugar levels, which in turn will cause the body to release insulin. This in turn will cause the levels to come crashing down, and as a result the adrenal glands will release cortisol. A person who eats these types of foods regularly will put a great deal of stress on their adrenal glands, which over time can lead to weakened adrenals, and eventually adrenal fatigue.
How do weak adrenal glands lead to a hypothyroid condition? Well, when the adrenal glands are compromised, this puts the body into a catabolic state, which means the body is breaking down. Since the thyroid gland controls the metabolic activity of the body, it will attempt to slow down the catabolic state by slowing down the metabolism, which in turn will lead to the hypothyroid condition. So unless the adrenal gland problem is corrected, the hypothyroid condition will persist. While synthetic or natural thyroid hormone will usually help to manage the hypothyroid symptoms, these do nothing to address the actual cause of the condition.
In addition to eating refined foods and sugars, not getting sufficient sleep and/or dealing with a great deal of stress can also lead to adrenal issues. These factors will also affect the hormone cortisol, and once again can stress out the adrenal glands over a prolonged period of time. So it’s very important to eat well, obtain sufficient sleep, and manage your stress effectively in order to prevent adrenal gland issues from developing.
Natural Hypothyroid Treatment Tip #2: Minimize Your Consumption Of Goitrogens. Goitrogens are substances that inhibit thyroid activity. I actually have written a separate article about goitrogens entitled “Goitrogens: Thyroid Inhibiting Foods You Should Avoid“, and so I won’t spend much time talking about goitrogens here. Some foods which are considered to be healthy are goitrogens, such as broccoli, brussels sprouts, and strawberries. When a patient of mine follows a natural hypothyroid treatment protocol I recommend that they avoid all goitrogens initially. Once their health has been restored back to normal they can then begin eating some goitrogens on a moderate basis.
Natural Hypothyroid Treatment Tip #3: Consider Taking The Following Nutritional Supplements And Herbs. There are numerous supplements and herbs that can help with the recovery process. Some of these include:
• Vitamin D. This is a very important vitamin that plays a big role in immunity, which is why it’s especially important for anyone with an autoimmune thyroid disorder, such as Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis, to make sure they get enough Vitamin D. Most of the time a Vitamin D supplement will be necessary to take, as most people simply don’t get enough exposure to the sun. And those who do frequently use sun block, which blocks the absorption of Vitamin D. For more information on Vitamin D please visit the website www.vitamindcouncil.org.
• Iodine. Many people with hypothyroidism are iodine deficient, and will thus need to begin an iodine supplementation protocol. However, anyone with Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis needs to be careful about taking iodine, as it’s best to avoid taking any until the autoimmune response has been eliminated. To determine whether or not you are iodine deficient you can obtain an iodine loading test, which is a urine test which measures the excretion of iodine over a 24-hour period. For more information on iodine, I recommend the book “Iodine, Why You Need It, Why You Can’t Live Without It”, by Dr. David Brownstein.
• Eleuthero. This is an herb which can help with chronic stress. Anyone who has weak adrenal glands can benefit from taking this herb on a daily basis. It’s also known as Siberian Ginseng.
• Bladderwrack. This is a great herb that is specific for people with hypothyroidism. Just as is the case with any herb, the quality is very important. Just remember that this herb is only for people with a hypothyroid condition, and should not be taken in people with hyperthyroidism. Bladderwrack does have a small amount of iodine, but in my experience, most people with Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis don’t have a problem taking this herb.
• Ashwagandha. This is yet another awesome herb that can help people with a hypothyroid disorder. If you do some research you’ll actually discover that there are many other benefits of Ashwagandha as well, as it helps with the immune system, adrenal glands, etc.
Natural Hypothyroid Treatment Tip #4: Minimize Your Exposure To Environmental Toxins. Thousands of new chemicals are manufactured each year, and these can have a profound impact on your thyroid health. Many of the chemicals we’re exposed to are the ones we purchase and bring into our own homes, and so while we can’t completely eliminate our exposure to these toxins, most of us can do a much better job by purchasing products that don’t include these toxins. Natural products might cost more money, but they are much better for your health.
One of the most common toxins are xenohormones, which contain synthetic estrogen and have a hormone-like effect on the body. These xenohormones are included in many of the products we buy, as well as some of the foods we eat. They can create havoc with the endocrine system, and ultimately can affect thyroid health. So not only will you want to try purchasing natural cosmetics and cleaners, but will want to consider eating organic chicken, turkey, and beef. Also, bottled water can also be a source of xenoestrogens due to the plastic containers.
Natural Hypothyroid Treatment Tip #5: Consult With A Competent Natural Endocrine Doctor. While it might be tempting to try self-treating your condition, it really is a good idea to consult with a competent holistic doctor who focuses on endocrine disorders. Such a doctor will be able to fully evaluate your condition, and determine whether you are a good candidate for a natural hypothyroid treatment protocol. In addition to paying attention to your symptoms, your history, and evaluating your thyroid blood tests, a good holistic doctor will most likely recommend some other tests that can help determine the underlying cause of your hypothyroid condition. This way he or she can formulate an individualized treatment plan to help restore your health back to normal, assuming this is possible of course.
So these are five natural hypothyroid treatment tips you will want to consider following. There are obviously other important factors I excluded, such as exercising regularly, and keeping a positive attitude, but if you follow these five tips it will help you to optimize your thyroid health, and just might help to completely restore the function of your thyroid gland back to normal, which of course means you would no longer have to take synthetic or natural thyroid hormone.
Other Articles You Might Like To Read:
Correcting Memory And Concentration Problems In People With Thyroid Conditions
3 Steps To Overcoming Thyroid Weight Gain
The Relationship Between Fibromyalgia and Thyroid Conditions
How The People You Interact With Can Affect Your Thyroid Health